This April venture out of your food routine and try a new food and/or recipe. Many of us, myself included, will eat the same foods day in and day out. There are so many foods out there so why do we stick to the same ones? It’s familiar, safe and comfortable. Trying something new is unfamiliar and unknown so we hesitate.
Perks of trying something new:
- It prevents boredom. Boredom is dangerous when it comes to food. It elevates the risk of reaching for chips and cookies to spice things up.
- It opens up the possibility that you may actually enjoy it.
- It feels good to try something new.
Suggest adding a new food or recipe every 1-2 weeks.
- a new grain such as quinoa, bulgar wheat, couscous
- a new vegetable such as spaghetti squash, eggplant or kale.
- expeirment with tofu
- a new soup or side dish recipe
- new spice such as cumin, tumeric, sage, rosemary
- new version of something old like a different kind of apple: Fuji, pink lady, stayman, Winesap, etc.
- try a new store like a health food store
There are so many options, take a step this week and see how exciting trying something different feels.